Thursday, August 13, 2015

Giving Blogging Another Chance: Less Than a Week Until School!

Welcome Back to My Blog!

Now that I am going into my second year of teaching sixth grade and like to think that I will have a little more time, I’ve decided that I will rejoin the blogging world! While I had wonderful experiences during my student teaching and my first year of having my own classroom, blogging took a backseat to more important tasks.

As of tonight, I have three more days until our teacher work day and back-to-school night and only four more days until our first day of school! In this post, you’ll hear about a trip to the fabulous free teacher store (AKA hoarder’s paradise) and get a sneak peek at what my classroom looks like so far. Enjoy!

A Trip to the Free Teacher’s Store

Since I work in a Title I school, we have access to a free teacher’s store in town. They have all types of random supplies, and as long as it fits in your two bags, you get to take it for free! Today was the first day teachers from our district could go, and I was lucky to be invited to tag along with the most fabulous partner teacher ever! After getting some McDonald’s Diet Cokes, standing in the blazing sun, and fighting through the crowd of teachers, we each escaped with about 30 lbs of supplies as well as an additional 16 binders each. To say the least, it was pretty much the equivalent of Christmas for us! Here we are with our carts full of goodies!




Classroom Sneak Peek!

Even though we don’t have many days before school starts, I still feel like I have a lot of work to do! After last year, I decided what worked and what didn’t and did a TON of rearranging! I also decided to go with a nautical theme this year, which I absolutely love!



Here is one of my bulletin boards that I will use to have students showcase their best work. I just laminated some scrapbook paper and stapled it up for instant cuteness!



This is probably my favorite Pinterest project ever! I got a magnetic board from IKEA and covered it with different scrapbook paper patterns to help me keep track of where different kids are throughout the day. I’m planning on having them move the magnet with their name on it to “Ready to Learn” at the beginning of the day to take attendance. We’ll see how it works!



This is my calendar/standards/goals board. I’ve purchased some really cute standards and essential question posters from TPT that I want to display for each unit, and I want to display some goals and data for students so they can take ownership of their success! Once I get this board up and running, I’ll post another picture.




Clearly, I’m big on magnets this year! This is in the corner of one of my front whiteboards, and I’m planning on using it for keeping track of students who need to spend time sitting out of recess or need to have a phone call home about behavior. (This was another Pinterest project that I love!)




Last but not least, here are a couple of my bulletin boards that will stay up all year (if not longer!). They are up by the ceiling and are a HUGE pain to put up. However, I love the way they turned out!

After I finish things up in the next few days, I’ll be sure to post a complete tour of my room.


That’s all the buzz for today!

2 comments: